Monday, November 8, 2010

Time to say goodbye

Hans, 3 years ago, in healthier times!
Since my last post, time has flown by in a whirlwind of happenings.  My dear grandfather, Hans, was hospitalised in mid-September, after which I spent almost every day phoning to find out how he was doing, praying for him, my grandmother, and my aunt, who takes care of them. 
Eventually I flew up to Johannesburg, then drove out to Witbank (about an hour from JHB) and my sister flew out from London, and we went to help out where we could.  We were so shocked at how he had aged, suffering from diabetes, and a fall at work, which seemed to affect his brain and bodily functions.(yes, he still worked! It kept him sane!) Yet, at age 87, he was still strong enough to fight with the nursing staff when they hurt him!
Through prayer and the grace of God, Tracy and I were able to take him home in the short time we were there.  What a touching moment to see him and my grandmother reunited after his hospitalisation!! However, it was only to be a time for them to say goodbye. Two weeks later, on October 13th, he left us to be with his Heavenly Father.
When I called to tell my grandmother, I was amazed at what she told me.  She had spent the night praying that the Lord would take my grandfather, so that he would not have another night of pain! She knew he was gone, before we did! Her prayers of faith, love and compassion were answered immediately.  That is the result of 64 years of marriage, and complete faith in the Lord.  Her strength overwhelmed me! 
I once again travelled up to Johannesburg for the funeral. A bittersweet time, meeting family members I had not seen since my childhood, was wonderful. Yet, when I looked at his brother, it was almost like looking at my grandfather again, in his healthier days, and that was incredibly sad!!  I spoke at the funeral, after reminiscing with many family members, and we all agreed on one thing: he left behind an incredible legacy, that money cannot buy.  He always did the right thing and he did everything with excellence, no shortcuts!! He had so many talents, I could not even begin to mention them all, and I realised that most of who I am and what I do, is as a result of being brought up by him and my grandmother in my primary school years.  My favourite things, hobbies and interests are all as a result of the role model he was.  He did not say much, but he set a fantastic example, which I am proud to carry over to my own children - I only hope to do it as well as he did!!
Praise the Lord for such a wonderful grandfather - may he serve as a beacon to all of us left behind in his family!!
Since then I have had to get my own life back on track again, but with such a different perspective.  God has used this time to teach me much-needed lessons about compassion, patience, and learning to see things through the eyes of others - not just my own.  I am so humbled!!
Thanks to all my friends for your support and concern over this time.  You are my treasures!!
My precious Sister and Grandfather!!! Priceless treasures!!

1 comment:

  1. your story really touches me!
    what a comfort and grace it is to know he is home now with His heavenly father! Still if i read what a wonderful person he was to you, you must miss him so much, i will pray for you & your sister, aunt, etc...

    ReplyDelete